Saturday, August 27, 2016

Drive System Part 8: Gyro Assembly

Weight for Gyroscope

Purchased 2 x Mold Latex from a online hobby shop on Amazon
Posted the action to the users group and they indicated that the mold compound will take too long to dry...

NOTE: Since I am using the compound more as a hardener for the shot pellets that I am mixing it with in each cavity.. it may work.  lets see.

This is the compound I am going to use along with the below lead shot pellets that I purchased from Amazon.com.  They came in 4lbs bags..
Mooresales is where I purchased the lead shot pellets... received 3 bags at 4lbs each.

Changes or altercations to James' build:
  1. The 3 cavity's in the gyro only needed 2lbs each total of 6lbs for the gyro weight... I am going to go with all 4lbs in each and my gyro will be 12lbs.  This may be more stable in the long run due to the weight.
  2. I ran into the same issue James did... where the Gyro is too low and collides with the wheels on the drive assembly... as seen further below.
Here I have the main 14" lazy susan connected now with the correct bolts and notice the trousers are snug up to the braces for the gyro.... I will have to raise them 1 hole higher due to the below issues with colliding into the lower drive wheels.

Some video talking about the decisions to use the latex mold.



Some video footage of the mixing and stuff





2 down and 1 to go.... mixing in a portion of the mold compound and then filling it slowly with the bag of lead shot...using the back of a old brush to mix it all together... if you notice the upper left cavity appears to have the right mix... while the other 2 may have too much.

Shaking the entire unit and gently bouncing on the floor allows the chambers to settle and level out.

Here is a quick recap of the gyro completed and what I needed to do next


Once I assembled it back inside the cheese.. immediately I noticed the gyro rubbed up against the lower wheel... as seen above.

Here is a great picture of the trousers correctly installed inside the cheese with the weighted gyro... this thing is pretty heavy.

Another view from another angle

This side does not face the same issue... however its pretty close and too close for comfort.  I will move the assembly higher OR I will adjust the location of those lower wheels.



No comments:

Post a Comment