Sunday, December 11, 2016

Cleaning up the skins - Body panel work

After struggling with the bondo issues... come to find out it was the wrong type of bondo (glazing) where it was used for shallow holes etc.  So went out and purchased the correct Bondo (multi-purpose) with hardner.

So today was major work to bondo the surface where there were huge gaps... etc


Here is the summarized work performed on the main body of BB8 over the weekend

Looks rough, very rough... tried and tried... but alas I didn't have the right bondo

Here are some various shots of the bad areas of the body...

Here are the gaps... there is major issues here.

This is another tough environment

This looks pathetic :)


So here we go... applying the bondo, I learned that you are to apply it in small layers, why?
because you will work that hard to remove it... its like sanding rock

Here is where I am applying it over the gaps and pushing it evenly

Another view of the bondo.... lots of sanding ahead

After showing this to the team at Brownlie Design.. I was told I am putting too much on, I will need 40 or 60 grit to sand this thing down.

Here is another view of the bondo

while I was painting, I began applying the primer to the skirt assembly and top of the head

Began sanding the bondo using a orbital sander using 60 grit then going over the 60 grit with 220 grit.

Here is a view showing this as successful.

Applied another layer of bondo

and another...

After applying the 60 grit... looks awesome

Another view after running over it with 220

This is working well...

Its looking very nice... very smooth.


This is going to need lots of bondo...

So here we go with more bondo

Focused on the circle outlines.  Making sure to smooth it out as much as possible.

Another view...

Here I am.. I think my hair was white after hours of this nonsense.

After getting all areas sanded with the 220 grit... applied first layer of white

applied the white to the top and skirt as well.

Used a heat gun and set the dehumidifier to 35.. yeah sucking the fluids right out of everything :)

another layer and we are done...

And I started to peel the masking off the circles as well to see how much damage we have.  Not bad I guess.. but we will have to tape off the white now and re-spray the orange and dark areas once again.

Putting the dome on the body it looks much better and very familiar...

Hello friend?  BB8 is almost ready... now for electronics in the head and assembly of the magnets from Patrick...

No comments:

Post a Comment